Complaint: Will NOT Take Blame leaking postive connection on battery caused acid to eat into electrical wiring – wires began burning and melting I purchased a 2001 Cavalier used from Jon Hall in Daytona Beach, Florida in September 2002. The car still had the original battery from factory. On April 25, 2003 I had parked the car in my garage. When I went back out to the garage I noticed a terrible burning smell, and smoke was pouring out from under the hood of the car. The headlights were on even though the were turned off. I could not get the headlights to shut off, smoke was still coming out. I disconnected the battery fuse to shut off the voltage to the lights and stop the burning. I tried to drive the car to the dealership but the wires began to burn again after replacing the fuse. I called GM who had the car towed (supposedly at their expense) to the dealership. The GM certified mechanic stated this is a common problem with these batteries. However, GM WILL NOT take responsibilty for the damage. Had I not returned to the garage, my entire house would probably have burned along with the car. This appears to be a major defect in these batteries and someone GM or Delco needs to accept the responsiblity for allowing this to continue. Stephanie Palm Coast, FloridaU.S.A.
Tags: Auto Manufacturers